175th celebration held in March by First Presbyterian Church a success

From staff reports

With 175 years of history First Presbyterian Church of Louisville continues with the mission that it was founded on godly principles and forever setting the congregation’s hearts on God.
Celebrations began on March 22 with a piano concert by Russian-American pianist Alexandre Moutouzkine.

Russian-American pianist Alexandre Moutouzkine performs.

Russian-American pianist Alexandre Moutouzkine performs.

Moutouzkine won the Special Award for Artistic Potential at the age of 19.  He has gone on to win top prizes in more than 20 international competitions including the Naumburg, Cleveland, Montreal, New Orleans, Iturbi in Valencia, Maria Canals in Barcelona and Arthur Rubinstein in Auditions.  He has performed as a soloist with the Berliner Philharmoniker, the Brno Philharmonic Orchestra of Czech Republic, the Israel Philharmonic, the Cleveland Orchestra, and the Radiotelevision Orchestra of Spain.
A reception immediately followed the concert.

Present pastor Scott Phillips helps open the program

Present pastor Scott Phillips helps open the program

Celebrations continued with worship services on March 23.  Reverend Scott Phillips, pastor of First Presbyterian, opened the services by welcoming the 300 plus guests.  “This is a great achievement for our church, this is the Lord’s achievement” stated Rev. Phillips.
Approximately 238 people were seated in the sanctuary with others watching the services streamed live in the family life center.
The choir followed with “Amazing Grace.” Worship was led by Dr. J. Ligon Duncan III, Chancellor of Reformed Theological Seminary in Jackson.
The Louisville Presbyterian Church was organized on March 23, 1839 by Rev. James A. Martin and Elder William Meek.  Rev. Martin was the first pastor and continued as such until 1845.  He was also a teacher and part owner of the first school, Louisville Academy.  This school was located where the Lutheran Church now stands.  It was used for church services until the now church was built in 1845.

DSC_0053 DSC_0044
Early records of the church were burned so the exact list of charter members is no longer available, but some later records indicate that early membership was composed of the Meek, Garrigus, Smyth, Comfort, Byram, Austin, Davitt, Hemphill, and Hughes families and their slaves.
Since establishment, Louisville Presbyterian Church has continued to grow in leaps and bounds through church membership, missions, children’s ministries, youth ministries, and the addition of the Family Life Center.  Throughout the past 175 years the congregation has held fast to being committed to giving God all the glory.  They contribute this as the reason why they have had continual growth.