From staff reports
In the regular, July 15 Louisville Municipal School board meeting, the board covered a lengthy agenda as preparations for staffing and other items where covered for the 2013-2014 school year.
The board approved in a 3-2 vote to hire Thomas Brooks as principal of Noxapater. With the hiring, the board filled the last remaining open principal position. Juanna Young was named the Principal at Eiland Middle School in a special board meeting July 2.
The board also approved almost a dozen staffing hires to cover open teaching positions in the district. Winston Career and Technology director James Webb was also given added responsibility of Transportation director.
The board also approved outlining in the handbooks that according to state law that in the 2014-2015 school year that no student may be promoted to the next grade except under “good cause” reasons if they fail the new state reading tests.
Penny Hill, Director of Curriculum, explained that the new law the “Third Grade Gate,” requires third-graders to demonstrate they can read at basic level before advancing to fourth grade. Parents of K-3 students struggling in reading will receive written notification that their child is at risk of being retained. At-risk students will also receive required additional instruction and interventions, such as 90 consecutive minutes of daily reading instruction and summer reading camps designed to help students achieve basic reading skills and avoid repeating third grade. The students may retake the test if they fail it. The new law goes into effect 2014-2015 school year.
In other business, the board:
• Discussed the SACS report received.
• Approved an new AmeriCorp Agreement due to the failing of the federal funding of the program. The new agreement delivered a number of cuts to the program which the school used to hire 3 assistant teachers and does match the federal monies of the program.
• Approved 6 Sixteen Section land items.
• Approved Special Education funds.
• Approved financial reports
• Approved the substitute teachers, custodians, and cafeteria workers for hire.
• Approved $1,000 donation from Wal_mart oth
Set the next board meeting for August 13 at 5:30 p.m.