MEMA, FEMA to reimburse local governments for debris pick-up until July 26

JACKSON, Miss. – The Mississippi Emergency Management Agency and the Federal Emergency Management Agency announce local governments in counties designated for federal disaster assistance have until July 26 to pick up eligible disaster-related debris, including stumps and root balls, from public rights-of-way.
If property owners hire contractors to move debris, the contractors must haul the debris off and cannot just move it to the right-of-way. Debris left by contractors is not eligible for reimbursement. Construction debris and concrete slabs are also not eligible.
A number of nonprofit and voluntary organizations are in Mississippi to help with the cleanup effort. Property owners who need help removing debris from their property should contact their county emergency management office.
Storm debris should be placed at the right-of-way for pickup, divided into the following categories:
•Household garbage
• Construction debris
• Vegetative debris
• Household hazardous waste
• White goods such as refrigerators and dryers, and
• Electronics
Property owners should contact their local governments with any questions regarding debris eligibility or debris sorting questions.
MEMA reports estimate 85 percent of eligible debris in Mississippi has been picked up.
Debris removal grants are funded by FEMA’s Public Assistance grant program, which reimburses local and state governments and certain private nonprofits for eligible expenses incurred before, during and after a disaster. FEMA covers the federal share, which amounts to 75 percent of eligible debris removal costs. MEMA is covering the remaining 25 percent of eligible debris removal costs.
FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.
Winston County, MS June 18th, 2014: After assessing and consulting with Hughes Construction (Debris Removal Contractor), the Winston County Board of Supervisors have scheduled the final pass for debris removal to begin July 7th, 2014. The county contract does not include the City of Louisville