Memories of our county

Nannie Maude Reynolds shares memories and thoughts about Winston County’s past.

Mrs. Maude Yarbrough
I have not thought of Ms Maude Yarbrough for many years. Just this

week after writing the article on fishing, I was reminded of the good times we shared fishing with the Yarbroughs. But Ms Maude stands out in our memory because of her faithfulness to God and to her family.
Ms Maude was a plump little lady with graying hair and she walked with a limp. She had a leg that was swollen and black. It was a common occurrence after the birth of a child back ‘in the day’ for the mother to have a blood clot due to the inactivity advised by the doctors and community at that time.
Medicine has come a long way in that area. Ms Mary Maude Morris born 1892 and died in 1961 was married to Mr. Red (Everett Yarbrough, born 1898 and died 1957) in 1919.  Ms Maude and Mr. Red had two sons, Wayne born 1924 and Wade born 1932 and died 2006.  Their first son, Wayne, was killed in action during World War ll. He was 20 years old. He had been drafted on Aug. 25, 1943 during the thick of the War. He served in the European Theatre and was a Pvt. 1st Class. We were in school at Liberty School.
Mr. Josh Adams was the principal at the time. Mrs. Orena Wade Adams was the teacher of the 4th and 5th grades. Wade was in the 5th grade. Our classroom was behind folding doors which when opened would create a good sized auditorium. On the other side of the folding doors, Mr. Adams taught the 6th, 7th and 8th grades. I remember the day someone   (I cannot remember who) came to the school to get Wade. Mr. Adams came to the door which opened into our classroom and asked to see Wade. He put his arm around his shoulders and led him outside.
The news was that Wayne, his big brother, had been killed in action in France. The pall that settled over the whole community is not easily forgotten. A neighbor was hurting; we all hurt for the family. Wayne’s body was buried in France, but there was memorial service at Liberty Baptist Church for him. I remember the 8×10 photograph of him that was placed at the front of the church.  Ms. Maude and Mr. Red were very faithful to the church and to God. Many times we have picked her up at the fork in the road and she rode on to church with us in the wagon.
We tell these stories that happened so long ago, and to us maybe the pain has subsided some, yet we know that as long as Mr. Red and Ms Maude lived they never forgot one instant the hurt and suffering they felt at the loss of their son so far away from home. And so it is with all who have lost their children.
Ms Maude was a good neighbor and friend. She was with my mother the day Mama delivered my brother, Bud. She walked from her house to ours which is a distance of about 2 ½ miles or maybe 3. She walked with a limp, remember?
I can remember the day when we saw smoke rising across the woods and wondered who was burning something or what was burning. In those days there were no Fire Departments. We heard later that day that Mr. Red and Ms Maude had lost their home and everything they had. They lived in a house that was built around the turn of the century from seasoned lumber with a split shingle roof.  Ms Maude said that she was cooking lunch and she kept hearing something that sounded like scratching on the roof and went to see what it was. The house was on fire and it burned to the ground.
All of the members of the family except a granddaughter and great grandson are gone now. They rest in quiet repose in the graveyard at Liberty. The impact that this family had on the community and the respect the community had for them will live forever.
Nannie Maude Reynolds