News of the Past by C.J. Johnson

100 Years Ago – September 6, 1912 NOXAPATER: Rev. A. J. Crawford, wife, and baby spent Friday here with his brother, Mr. W. J. Crawford. – Mr. Kirk McNeel and sister, Miss Ola, of Handle have enrolled as students of the Noxapater Graded school. – Mr. L. Filer celebrated his 73rd birthday on the 3rd inst. when about fifty of his friends had the pleasure of dining with him. – Mrs. (Dr.) John Hickman, who went to Meridian for treatment at the Sanitarium, has improved enough to return home.

ROCKY HILL: Will Land left last Friday for California, to make that his future home, to the regret of his many friends. Will is a good boy and we wish him well. – Mrs. J. T. Suttle left Sunday for Mendenhall, to visit her son, Mr. Walton Suttle.

LOUISVILLE: Dr. Montgomery reports the arrival of a fine girl at the home of Dr. and Mrs. G. L. Clement on the 29th of August. – We regret to learn of the death of Miss Sallie Carter of Plattsburg who died on the 29th and was buried at Liberty cemetery. She was a sister to Mrs. T. J. Lee of our town. – Miss Sunie Lyons will open her kindergarten school at the Masonic Hall on the 16th. – Mr. Lester Sharp has purchased the home of Mr. J. H. Davis on Columbus Avenue. – Mrs. W. A. Strong, who has been in the Baptist hospital at Memphis, is improving. – Miss Rebecca Gillis died August 30 at the home of her sister, Mrs. Erma White and was buried at Antioch cemetery. Mr. E. L. Powell, Vice President of American Creosote Works, spent Wednesday here. He is anxious for the grading contractors to complete their work on the ground, as all the machinery for the plant is ready to ship. The company desires to be ready for business on November first.

75 Years Ago – September 3, 1937 Schools opened Monday. Louisville High School enrollment stands around one thousand and Noxapater High School and Grammar School opened with more than 500 pupils.

DEATHS: Mr. James Lee Yarbrough, 72, died Monday night in Noxapater at the home of his son in law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Lane Barnes, after an illness of a few months. – Mr. D. P. Suber, 85, of Betheden, died at Starkville Hospital on Sunday, August 29th and was buried Monday at Betheden. – Mr. Dan Thompson, one of Macedonia’s elder citizens, died August 27th after a long illness and was laid to rest at Jacksonfield.

LOUISVILLE: Mr. and Mrs. J. T. Webster and little son left this week for Merigold, in the Mississippi delta, where they joined Mr. Webster, who had been there a few weeks. Tom is a splendid clerical man and is keeping books for a large plantation store. – Born, to Mr. and Mrs. W. F. Kinard, a fine ten pound girl at their apartment at Mr. and Mrs. W. E. Dempsey, on August 24th. She is named Velma Catherine. – Mr. Davis L. Fair, Jr. has arrived in New York City from an extensive tour of Europe. After visiting his aunts in New York and Washington for several days he will return to Louisville.

NEW HOPE reported Mr. and Mrs. Henry Eaves are the proud parents of a nine pound boy. Mother is fine but baby is sick. – The three weeks and six day old baby of Mr. and Mrs. Claud Croker died a few days ago.

NOXAPATER: Miss Jaunette Bowie of Highpoint spent the past week her with her cousin, Miss Mary Virginia Callahan. – Mrs. J. H. Gunn spent the week end in Jackson with her mother, Mrs. W. A. Clark and enjoyed a family reunion of all members of the Clark family, except one brother. – Mr. J. A. Price returned home last week from a visit with Mr. Charles Farish and family at Gaffney, S. C. – Recent guests in the home of Mr. and Mrs. A. T. Callahan included Mr. and Mrs. W. H. McElroy and Mr. and Mrs. Richard Porter of Highpoint on Sunday, and cousins Mrs. Hilling of Hattiesburg and Mrs. Russell of Philadelphia on Monday afternoon.