From Staff Reports
Winston County voters and others across the state will return to the polls Tuesday for a runoff election in the Republican Party.
Republican voters will choose between incumbent Thad Cochran and challenger Chris McDaniel in the U.S. Senate race in the June 24 runoff election. Polls are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
According to certified results released Friday by the Mississippi Republican Party, McDaniel received 157,733 votes in the June 3 primary, Cochran 156,313 and Thomas Carey 4,854. Cochran carried Winston County with 54.94 percent of the votes while challenger McDaniel received 44.22 percent. Less than 1500 votes separated the top two candidates statewide in the Republican Senate Primary Election. The runoff is necessary because no candidate in the first primary received over 50 percent. “Every vote counts,” said Circuit Clerk Kim Ming. “Voting is what makes our democracy work and is one of the freedoms millions of soldiers has sacrificed for.” The winner will face Democratic nominee Travis Childers of Booneville in the general election in November, along with three minor-party candidates
Citizens must have been registered for the June 3 primary election to be eligible to vote in the primary runoff election. Voters will once again be required to show an acceptable photo ID or vote by affidavit ballot.
Mississippians who voted in the Republican primary or did not vote on June 3 can vote in the Republican runoff Tuesday. Eligible voters may cast absentee ballots at the circuit clerk’s office through noon Saturday. Mail in absentee ballots must be received by your Circuit Clerk no later than Monday, June 23 by 5 pm.
The 12 polling places in Winston County are:
- Fairgrounds at the Coliseum on 200 Ivy Avenue
- Nanih Waiya at Nanih Waiya Fire Department 13866 Hwy 397
- East Winston at East Winston Fire Department 10390 Hwy 14 East.
- Lovorn Voting Building at 713 East John C. Stennis Drive
- MillCreek at County Barn 3 5660 Brooksville Road
- American Legion at United Steel Worker’s Building 411 East John C. Stennis Drive.
- Zion Ridge at the Community Center 4179 Zion Ridge Road.
- County Agent office at 460 Vance Street.
- Shiloh at Shiloh Fire Department 2089 C. Huntley Road.
- Noxapater at the Noxapater Fire Department 145 West Main Street
- Mars Hill at Mars Hill Fire Department 4470 Mars Hill Road.
- New National Guard at the National Guard Building 2310 Hwy 15 South.
Anyone with polling place or other elections questions should contact Kim Ming at the Winston County Circuit’s office.